"Self-build" is the practice of creating an individual home for yourself through a variety of different methods.
| This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008)
People build individual homes for all sorts of reasons, but mainly because they want to create something tailored to their family's unique requirements; or something architecturally appealing in all manner of styles; or because they want to live in a home that they might not be able to afford on the open market.
Self-builders create their homes through a variety of methods - and very few actually build it entirely themselves. The majority employ an architect to come up with the design of the new home and contract a builder to construct it; others use so-called 'package' companies to provide a one-stop solution. Many others find themselves managing building sites and dealing directly with planners, tradespeople and materials suppliers.
There are approximately 20,000 new homes built by this method each year in the United Kingdom, making it the largest contributor to the UK's housing stock. Around 1 in 3 new detached homes in the UK are created by self-builders. Over the years, self-builders have been at the forefront of advances in house design and technology, being responsible for the dramatic uptake in recent years in eco-features such as solar power and heat pumps; underfloor heating; open plan design and smart home technology. These are features that take many years to filter through to commercial housing developments. There is also an increasing drive for people to self-build overseas, either as investments, holiday homes, retirement homes or relocation.
Individual houses can take all forms from the traditional to the radically modern, and the term is also used to refer to people who create individual homes out of old buildings.
- Broome, Jon (2007). The Green Self-Build Book: How to design and build your own eco-home. Foxhole, Dartington, Totnes, Devon: Green Books. ISBN 9781903998731.
- Pollan, Michael (1997). Place of My Own: The Education of an Amateur Builder. New York: Random House. ISBN 9780679415329.
- Build It magazine in the UK
- Directory of self-build products and services from homebuilding.co.uk
- selfbuild.com - International Self Build forum
- Info for the Self-Builder in Ireland
- Self Building Resources in America
- How do I self build?
- A self-build diary
- Self-building project in the Netherlands
- Info for the Self-Builder in Australia
- UK Self Build Mortgages
- UK sustainable selfbuild information
- The Self Build Guide
- - U.K Self Build Timber Frame Guide
es:Autoconstrucción fr:Autoconstruction it:Autocostruzione (architettura) he:בנה ביתך